Each year, nearly all of Maine's credit unions, including Taconnet FCU, participate in the Maine Credit Unions' Campaign for Ending Hunger. Since 1990, the year that this collective effort began, Maine's credit unions have raised and distributed more than $5.9 million to help end hunger in Maine.
Maine Hunger Facts: (Source USDA)
- Population of Maine: 1,328,361
- Food Insecurity Rate: 15.1% of households, or more than 200,000 people
- Rank: 17th in nation and 1st in New England for Food Insecurity
- Child Food Insecurity Rate: 24% or 64,200 children
- Rank: 18th in nation and 1st in New England for Child Food Insecurity
- Food Insecurity has inreased by 50% over the past decade.
- 40% of Maine's Food Insecure population make too much money to qualify for food stamps and must rely on the charity food assistance network. (Source: Feeding America)